Date(s) - 01/28/2016
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Category(ies) No Categories
Southwest Missouri Language Arts Department
LAD Winter Meeting: Thursday, January 28, 2016
Sherwood Elementary, Springfield, MO
As you come in….
*sign in & update your membership
*grab a nametag & handouts
*write your name on a slip of paper for doorprize drawings
*grab some snacks *pop machine downstairs
*If you haven’t already, please read/view the two documents we will be voting on
Welcome and Introductions (please be sure to sign in)
Discuss and Approve Minutes from Fall Meeting-Stephanie Summers
Discuss and Approve Treasurer’s Report from Fall Meeting-Emily Seiler
Things To Vote On
· Responsibilities of LAD Officers/Chairs-we need to approve updates to this document/vote
· Spelling Bee Rules –we need to approve updates to this document/vote
· Vice President for 2016-2017-Derry Byrom
· LAD Publicity Chair. See description below.
Duties of the Publicity Chair
(formerly the archivist and special projects director)
1. Work in collaboration with LAD officers and LAD chairs to promote LAD information and activities.
2. Oversee completion of special projects approved by the LAD Board.
3. Serve as a liaison or resource person to executive representatives.
4. Serve as a liaison to other professional associations engaged in promotion of literacy.
5. Collect publicity relating to LAD and its activities.
6. Take photographs of LAD Fair, meetings, and other LAD activities.
7. Maintain an organized file of the publicity and other memorabilia pertinent to LAD.
· Executive Representatives. See description below.
Duties of Executive Representatives
(formerly area and level representatives)
1. Be a contact person for LAD members in the area(s) you are representing.
2. Attend all regularly scheduled meetings of the board.
3. Assume responsibility for at least one LAD activity, either by volunteering or upon request of president, with board approval.
· Gannett Foundation Grant-Rebecca Crowder
· LAD Fair
· *Promotions going?-paper and digital
*Volunteer Form ready?
*Judges & Volunteers for Sorting Day and Judging Day
*Volunteers for Set-up and LAD Fair
*Volunteers for Spelling Bee Are directions updated?
Reminders from past meetings….
· It is the classroom teacher’s responsibility and the student’s responsibility to ensure plagiarism is not occurring with pieces being brought to the fair. Teacher and student are signing off on every piece of writing they turn in.
· LAD can help by sharing a digital citizenship link on Facebook and the LAD website for teachers to use as a resource to plan lessons to do with their students.
· LAD can help by reminding judges during “training” to use their phones or laptops to check writing pieces right away if there is any suspicion.
· LAD T-shirts-Jane Sellars
*Please promote shirts to students/parents. Use the informational letter/form on the website.
2016 Dates To Remember:
Postmark Deadline: March 11, 2016
Sorting Day: March 18, 2016; all entries by 4:30 PM, Willard High School
Judging Day: March 19, 2016; 8:00 AM-lunch; Willard High School
LAD Fair Set-up Day: April 29, 2016; all entries by 4:30 PM, Willard High School
LAD Fair: April 30, 2016; 8:00-11:00, Willard High School
Summer Meeting: June 11, 2016
President: obtains the location; during May, reminds the board members of the date &time; New President (formally the President Elect): prepares the agenda
Purposes: The summer meeting is for the officers and executive board of LAD. It is a time to recap/reflect on the previous school year, choose a new LAD T-shirt, make plans for the coming school year including the fall meeting, and suggest additions or changes to the LAD categories sheet, policies, or procedures. This is also the meeting at which previously elected LAD officers take on their new roles for the coming school year.
Tour of new Sherwood Elementary
Thank you so much for coming and for being involved in LAD!!!